© V. N. Timoshenko, 2011
«J.HOWARD DOCTRINE» AND PEACEKEEPING ACTIVITY OF AUSTRALIA IN THE ASIA-PACIFIC REGION
Collapse of the bipolar world and deterioration of an economic situation of Australia pushed the country to a closer military-political cooperation with countries of the Asia-Pacific region. However, the Asian crisis of 1998 changed a vector of foreign policy of Australia again. A coalition government of J.Howard has gradually returned to traditional reference points in security issues of the country. A union with the USA, as a main guarantor of regional and world stability, has been put in the center of a new policy. Following «Howard Doctrine» which essence was reduced to readiness of Australia to carry out a function of "an American sheriff» in the region, Australia has incurred the right of maintenance of regional security, including carrying out «peacekeeping» operations in the Asia-Pacific region.
Keywords: «Howard Doctrine», «Asian Crisis», peacekeeping operation, East Timor, Bougainville Island.
- Bhatia M. Advance and Retreat: The Domestic Sources of Australia’s Foreign Policy Turmoil// Pacific Focus. Vol. XIII, No. 1 (Spring 1998). Inhon, Korea, p. 89
- Dibb P. The End of Asian Miracle? Will the Current Economic Crisis Lead to Political and Social Instability? [Ýëåêòðîííûé ðåñóðñ]: Australia National University, Strategy and Defence Study Center Newsletter, Spring 1997/summer 1998. URL: http://ausCSCAP.anu.edu.au
- Garry Smith. Perspectives on Australian Foreign policy, 1998// Australian Journal of International affairs, Vol.53, No 2, July 1999, p. 195
- Cavan Hogue. Perspectives on Australian Foreign policy, 1999// Australian Journal of International affairs, Vol.54, No 2, 2000, p. 148
- ge, 16 November 1998
- Australian government. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Annual Report. 1998-1999// www.dfat.fov.au
- Polkhov S. A. «Vostochny Timor v kontekste amerikano-avstraliyiskih otnoshenii»// SSHA I Kanada. Ekonomika.Politika. Kultura. ¹ 1, 2003, ñ. 45-5.
- Vostochnyi Timor [Electronic Recourse]: Narod. Ru.. URL: http://political.narod.ru//ARCHIVE/timor.html
Download article (291.4 Kb)