The University contributes greatly to the development of the scientific and innovative potential of the Far Eastern region and Russia as a whole. The University conducts research in more than 20 scientific fields in physics, mathematics, engineering sciences and humanities. During the last 5 years over 800 research and development projects have been fulfilled at the University.
There are 47 research and educational-scientific laboratories and 45 scientific and industrial divisions functioning in PNU.
Many applied research projects of the university are realized by the industrial enterprises, such as gas-oil producing, power and oil-refining companies of the region, as well as the largest aircraft- and ship-building concerns of the Far East.
The University cooperates efficiently with foreign scientific centers and organizations. PNU scientists collaborate on various activities with research centers of Europe, Asia Pacific region countries and others. International scientific symposia, conferences and seminars are held at PNU. Annually together with Harbin Institute of Technology PNU organizes the “New Materials and Technologies” symposia. Since 2000, PNU annually hosts the international forum “New Ideas of a New Century”. The representatives of nearly 30 universities from Korea, Japan, China and other countries take an active part in this forum. The PNU scientists have participated in international conferences and symposia in China, the USA, Japan, Portugal and other countries.
PNU pays considerable attention to the development of innovations. In the last 5 years a number of innovative divisions have been established, namely: the Student Business Incubator; the Innovation Technology Center; “The Impulse” Center; the Far Eastern Technology Transfer Center and others.
The university pays the great attention to the student research. The research activities of young scientists, graduate and postgraduate students have developed considerably. There are Student Design Bureaus, a Council of PNU Young Scientists, and a Council for Student Research.
Foreign and Russian students participate in inner- and inter-university conferences and Olympiads. They include: “Hello, English”, the Festival of Foreign Languages; a PNU Olympiad in foreign languages; a student scientific conference; the Olympiad in the Russian language for foreign students; Eurasian Open Competition for the best literary translation (EURASIAN OPEN); the All-Russian review of scientific and creative works of foreign students and postgraduates. The participation of students in the “Student Spring” festival has become a tradition. 265 papers were presented at the 49th Student Research Conference, including 139 papers of foreign students.
Forms of Scientific Cooperation
- identifying the areas of joint interest of partners and establishing scientific cooperation in these areas;
- organizing joint international symposia, seminars and conferences with the representatives from the People's Republic of China, Japan, Republic of Korea, the USA;
- participation of Russian students in scholarship programs;
- studying in postgraduate schools of the leading universities of China in “Economics”, “Management” and “Linguistics”;
- participation of foreign students in All-Russian, regional, inter-university conferences, All-Russian review of scientific and creative works of foreign students and postgraduates;
- exchange of research publications and scientific materials;
- mutual assistance in raising scientific qualification of faculty members by internships.